Jan 31 2001
TOKYO: JANUARY 31, 2001 - FLIGHT JL907 INCIDENT
TIME OF BULLETIN -1830 HOURS
1. On January 31, 2001 at 15:50 Japan local time an incident took place over
Yaizu, Shizuoka Prefecture
2. Flight JL907/31 January enroute from Haneda Airport, Tokyo, to Naha, Okinawa.
(Scheduled departure time 15:25 Actual departure time 15:24, Take off time 15:36 Scheduled time of arrival at Naha 18:10)
3. Passengers: 407 plus 4 infants, total 411
4. Cockpit crew: 4 Cabin attendants 12
5. Aircraft: B747-400 (JA 8904)
6. Incident: Report from the captain at 16:10 was that he had taken near-miss evasive action to avoid a collision while flying over Yaizu. As passengers and crew had been injured the flight was returning to Haneda. The aircraft landed at Haneda at 16:47 and reached the passenger terminal at 16:49.
7. As of 18:30 Japan standard time, there were 30 injured passengers reported, three seriously. The injured included four JAL cabin attendants injured. Most of the injured were hospitalized in local hospitals.
8. Injuries: bruises, cuts and abrasions, and scalding (from hot drinks spilt in the cabin) etc.,
9. Flight re-scheduled: JL907 was rescheduled to depart for Naha at 19:15
A call centre for passenger information has been established at Tokyo 5467-9901