The JAL Group promotes "Sky Eco" today for the benefit of the future.
Environmental Guidelines and Action Plan
We search for important items that are important for the protection of the environment, and create action plans on what to do regarding these points. Our philosophy and dedication towards these things are set out in the 2012 "Environmental Guidelines" and "Action Plan".
As an airline transportation company that is an important social infrastructure, we are conscious of the fact that we have a responsibility to the global environment, and as such, the JAL Group has placed the control of our environmental impact and the protection of the environment as core themes in our business operations, as we continue to implement "Sky Eco", so we will be able to pass this rich earth on to the next generation and they will always be able to see the beautiful earth from the sky.
1. We actively work on initiatives to prevent global warming.
- We are working to reduce CO2 emissions per revenue-ton-kilometer(RTK) from JAL Group aircraft by 23% in 2020, compared with 2005 level.
- We work to reduce CO2 emissions through a variety of different measures including changing our aircraft to lower fuel consumption and low noise Boeing 787, 737-800 and the Embraer 170 aircraft, conducting "Eco Flights", reducing weight, and washing engines.
- We work together with the associated ministries and aviation authorities such as air traffic control in various countries to introduce leading methods in fuel efficient aviation, and will actively continue to do so in the future.
- We are collaborating in the research and development of aviation biofuel made from plants (non-food).
- We will collaborate on R&D which can lead to future aircraft and operating systems with less impact on the environment.
- We promote energy saving activities in our ground facilities (offices, factories etc.).
2. We actively promote social and environmental activities and environmental awareness activities.
- By continuing to conduct environmental and social activities we are able to contribute to the long term conservation of the environment, and we strive to improve the environmental awareness of children who will lead the next generation, as well as all of society, and our own employees.
- We will continue to cooperate in research to clarify the mechanisms of global warming through the monitoring of the earth's CO2 concentrations, and to participate in the atmosphere observation project using our aircrafts.
- We will continue to collaborate in the forest fire reporting project.
- We will continue our "SORAIKU" environmental awareness program for children.
- We will work with our customers to promote environmentally friendly activities.
- We will proactively promote environmental activities that employees can participate in, as well as environmental education for employees and their families.
3. We work towards the realization of a recycling-based society and for the preservation of the environment.
- We will strive to reduce industrial waste from domestic work site by 2% or less.
- We will strive to reduce the amount of water used, to conserve water.
- We will strive to reduce the amount and emissions of chemicals regulated by the PRTR Act.
- We will recycle staff uniforms and items used within aircraft cabins such as in-flight magazines, newspapers, aluminum cans, plastic bottles, and cargo packing materials etc.
4. We work to conserve the environment around airports.
- We will proactively introduce low noise aircraft and noise abatement operational procedures.
- We will proactively deal with noise issues at each airport.
- We will strive to work to NOx and other gaseous emissions from aircraft and automobiles etc.
5. We give consideration to biodiversity.
- We will convey the importance of biodiversity to customers and society at large.
- We will conduct business activities in accordance with the "JAL Group Policy on Biodiversity".
- We will extend cooperation to the "United Nations Decade on Biodiversity 2011-2020 initiative" , and carry out activities to convey the importance of protecting the natural beauty of Japan, such as the Japanese red-crowned cranes etc.