JAL’s History 1981s
We will take a look back at the history of Japan Airlines (JAL), from its founding to the present day, with a timeline of details and notable events.
- U.S. Air Transport World Magazine awards JAL with 'Airline of the Year 1980', the most excellent airlines company prize.
- JAL introduces Sky-Recliners into its New York route.
- JAL conducts a special flight for a visit of Their Imperial Highnesses Crown Prince (the Kinjo Emperor) and Princess to Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka, Thailand, and Singapore. -03.07
- JAL inaugurates the Sapporo=Tokyo(Narita)=Honolulu route (with DC-8-82).
- JAL inaugurates the Osaka=Tokyo(Narita)=Los Angeles route (with B747 plane).
- JAL inaugurates the Fukuoka=Tokyo(Narita)=Honolulu route (with DC-8-61/B747 planes).
- Japan Asia Airways inaugurates the Tokyo=Taipei=Takao route.
- The first flight for Jeddah (Saudi Arabia) departs from New Tokyo International Airport(Narita).
- JAL is awarded a cargo division prize of 'Airline of the Year'.
- JL Flight 350 crashes in Tokyo Bay near Haneda Airport.
- JAL is designates as the official airline for the Science World Fair - TSUKUBA EXPO 85'.
- JAL issues JALCard.
- JAL transports a giant panda (Fayfay) from Beijing Zoo (Beijing-Tokyo(Narita)).
- JAL and its associated group are appointed the official carrier for Tokyo Disney Land.
- JAL introduces Super Executive J Class into B747 international flights.
- JAL inaugurates Tokyo(Narita)=Seattle=Chicago route (with B747-LR planes).
- JAL launches a service for the new JAL Executive Class.
- JAL's first B747-300 plane (B747-SDU) arrives at Tokyo(Narita). Introduced on its transpacific route on December 15.
- JAL's DC-8 planes are retired from domestic routes.
- JAL conducts a special flight for a visit of Their Imperial Highnesses Crown Prince (the Kinjo Emperor) and Princess to Europe and Africa.
- JAL ranks first place among IATA (International Air Transport Association) carriers in terms of international regular transportation result in 1983.
- Transports blankets, sent to Association of Send Blankets to Africa, to Ethiopia.
- JAL inaugurates 'Aurora' and 'Blue Islander' service on the Sapporo=Okinawa(Naha) route (with DC-10 plane).
- JAL conducts a special flight (with DC-10 plane) for the visit of Their Imperial Highnesses Crown Prince (the Kinjo Emperor) and Princess to Europe. -03.09
- JAL inaugurates Dusserdorf route( with B747-LR plane).
- JAL introduces 'Business-Exclusive Jumbo Jet' to the Tokyo(Narita)=New York direct route. The first flight is operated by JL006.
- JA8119 JL123 accident
- B767(JA8232)arrives at Haneda from Boeing, Seattle, introduced on routes in November.
- JAL introduces B767 planes on its domestic route (Tokyo(Haneda)=Fukuoka). It is also introduced on its international flights (Tokyo(Narita)=Seoul) on December 2.
- JAL introduces JAL Super Seat into domestic flights of B747-SR and B747-LR planes.
- JAL inaugurates a code-sharing flight with Qantas on two routes, Tokyo(Narita)=Perth, Tokyo(Narita)=Cairns-Brisbane, and conducts one round trip a week for each route.
- JAL inaugurates the Nagoya=Honolulu route.
JAL introduces the B747-SR-SUD plane (563 seats) into its domestic flights (Tokyo(Narita)=Fukuoka, Tokyo(Haneda)=Sapporo) .
- JAL inaugurates the Tokyo(Narita)=Paris direct flight which is the first flight flying over Siberia to Europe in the world. It is also introduced on the Tokyo(Narita)=London route on April 7.
- JAL begins to call at Saipan on the Osaka=Guam route.
- JAL inaugurates its Atlanta route (Tokyo(Narita)=Seattle=Atlanta). Two round trips a week, technical landing at Seattle.
- JAL inaugurates the Tokyo(Haneda)=Kagoshima route (the new domestic route for the first time in 35 years since the company's foundation, with B747-SR-SUD plane).
- DC-8 cargo freighter is retired from scheduled service.
- JAL inaugurates the Tokyo(Haneda)=Komatsu(Kanazawa) route.
- JAL inaugurates the Nagoya=Fukuoka route (with B767-300 plane).
- JAL inaugurates the Nagoya=Sapporo route (with B767 plane).
- Japan Asia Airways' stewardesses begin to wear their new uniform.
- Full privatization.
- JAL's B727 planes retire with its last chartered flight between Guam and Kumamoto.
- DC-8 planes retire with its last flight JL958 from Pusan to Tokyo (operated for 27 years).
- JAL cabin attendants and female ground staff begin to wear their new uniform (announced on November 11, 1987, designed by Shigenobu Motoi/navy military suit).
- Announcement of hiring of 113 foreign stewardesses (70 UK, 22 West Germany, 21 Singapore).
- Announcement of “Invitation to Send Your Dreams” project.
- JAL inaugurates the Nagoya=Singapore route.
- JAL inaugurates the Tokyo(Haneda)=Matsuyama route (with B767-300 plane).
- JAL inaugurates the Nagoya=Bangkok code-sharing flights with Thai Airways International.
- JAL inaugurates Tokyo(Narita)=Toronto code-sharing flights with Canadian Airlines (with DC-10-30ER plane).
- JAL announces its new design system (new logo). The first aircraft with new body design is advertised at Tokyo International Airport (Haneda) on May 29.
- JAL inaugurates the Adelaide·Melbourne route (Tokyo(Nariata)-Adelaide-Melbourne-Tokyo(Narita)) by code-sharing with Qantas.
- Japan Asia Airways inagurates the Nagoya=Taipei route (seasonal unscheduled flights).
- JAL inaugurates the Tokyo(Haneda)=Hakodate route, accompanied by the second expansion of slots at Haneda Airport (with B767).
- JAL inaugurates the Guam·Saipan routes from Nagoya (Nagoya=Guam, Nagoya=Saipan=Guam) (with DC-10 plane).
- JAL launches new domestic in-flight service, 'Quiet Cabin Service'.
- First delivery of B747-400 (JA8071), arrives at Narita .
- JAL names its B747-400 planes 'Sky Cruiser'.
- B747-400 planes make its maiden flgiht on the Tokyo(Narita)=Seoul, Tokyo(Haneda)=Fukuoka and Tokyo(Haneda)=Okinawa(Naha) routes.
- JAL inaugurates the Tokyo(Haneda)=Hiroshima route (with B767 plane)
- JAL operates a relief flight (B747 plane) to transfer refugees caused by the invasion of Kuwait by Iraq, as requested by IOM (International Organization for Migration).
- JAL inaugurates the Nagoya=Okinawa(Naha) route ( with B767 plane).