JAL's History 1961s
We will take a look back at the history of Japan Airlines (JAL), from its founding to the present day, with a timeline of details and notable events.
- JAL introduces DC-7F aircraft (the first substantial cargo private freighter in Japan, the conversion type of DC-7 plane) on the Tokyo=San Francisco cargo private freighter service.
- JAL inaugurates the Tokyo=Osaka=Okinawa(Naha) route (with DC-6B plane).
- JAL inaugurates the Osaka=Sapporo route (with DC-6B plane,).
- JAL switches the Northern route to Europe service to a fare pool from joint operation with Air France, and inaugurates independent service (with DC-8 plane).
- JAL introduces the Convair880 planes on the Tokyo=Sapporo route.
- JAL’s stock is listed on the second section of the Tokyo Stock Exchange.
- JAL extends the Tokyo=Singapore route to commence the Jakarta route (Tokyo=Hong Kong=Bangkok=Singapore=Jakarta) (with Convair880 plane).
- JAL inaugurates the Southern route to Europe (with Convair880 plane).
- JAL inaugurates the Tokyo-Sapporo late-night cargo flight 'Tonakai (Reindeer)' (with DC-4 plane).
- JAL absorbs and merges the Japan Aircraft Maintenance Company(JALCO).
- JAL displays the Tokyo Olympic mark on its aircrafts.
- JAL introduces DC-8 planes on the Southern route to Europe.
- JAL inaugurates the 'Sunset Express' service, connecting Hong Kong and Transpacific routes (Hong Kong-Tokyo-Honolulu-Los Angeles).
- JAL conducts a Tokyo-New York special flight to transport staff of the New York World Fair (with DC-8 plane, the first flight into New York).
- JAL inaugurates the Tokyo=Seoul route (with Convair880 plane).
- JAL conducts a special flight (with DC-8 plane) for the visit to Mexico by their Imperial Highnesses the Crown Prince (the Kinjo Emperor) and Princess.
- Began using electronic seat reservation systems on international routes. Established fee for canceling reservations.
- DC-6B plane departs Tokyo International Airport to transport the Tokyo Olympic Flame. Athens-Okinawa(Naha) special flight is conducted on August 23. -09.06
- The first international travel packages in Japan (JALPAK) was offered.
- JAL extends the Tokyo=Okinawa(Naha) route to Taipei.
- JAL introduces the DC-8F 'ASAMA', the passenger-cargo combination aircraft, on the Tokyo=Honolulu=San Francisco route (shifts to unit loading from bulk loading).
- JAL extends the Tokyo=Okinawa(Naha)=Taipei route to Hong Kong to operate Tokyo=Okinzwa(Naha)=Taipei=Hong Kong.
- JAL inaugurates the Northern route to Paris (Tokyo=Anchorage=Copenhagen=Paris).
- JAL inaugurates the Northern route to London (Tokyo=Hamburg=London).
- JAL inaugurates the Southern route to London (Tokyo=New Delhi=Paris=London).
- First Boeing 727 "Tone" arrived at Tokyo International Airport. Began using aircraft equipment with self-test systems for line maintenance.
- JAL tentatively orders three Concorde aircrafts (cancels later).
- JAL introduces 'Tsurumaru' (crane) as a company badge, utilising it on its employees' badge.
- DC-7C planes retire from its route operation.
- JAL inaugurates Amsterdam route (Tokyo=Copenhagen=Amsterdam, with DC-8 plane).
JAL inaugurates Tokyo-Nagoya-Fukuoka-Taipei-Hong Kong route (with Convair 880 plane).
- JAL sets up the 'Sky Mate System' targeting customers between 12 and 21 years on the Tokyo=Osaka route and extends it to all domestic routes on April 1, 1967.
- JAL introduces Chinese (Hong Kong) hostesses on the Hong Kong route.
- JAL inaugurates New York route (Tokyo=Honolulu=San Francisco=New York) with DC-8 plane 'Seto'.
- JAL renews its uniform of stewardess in time with the completion of round-the-world route (designed by Hanae Mori, sky-blue suit).
The first round-the-world west-bound flight departs from Tokyo International Airport (Haneda). On March 7, the first east-bound flight departs, leading to the completion of round-the-world route.
- The first flight of Moscow route by Japan-Soviet Union joint operation (Tokyo=Moscow) arrives at Tokyo International Airport (Haneda); Departure of the first flight from Tokyo on April 20.
- JAL inaugurates Kuala Lumpur route (Tokyo=Hong Kong=Bangkok=Kuala Lumpur, (with DC-8 plane).
- JAL conducts a special flight to South America (Peru, Argentina, Brazil) for their Imperial Highnesses the Crown Prince (the Kinjo Empror) and Princess. -05.31
- JAL is designated as the official airline of Japan World Expo.
- JAL inaugurates the Fukuoka=Pusan route (DC-6B plane).
- JAL inaugurates the Osaka=Seoul route (Convair880 plane).
- JAL establishes Berlin office.
- JAL introduces DC-8-55F, an international exclusive cargo freighter, on San Francisco route (Tokyo-San Francisco-Honolulu-Tokyo).
- JAL inaugurates Manila route. (Convair880)
- JAL introduces YS-11 of Japan Domestic Airlines wet-chartered flights on the Tokyo=Osaka cargo and mail exclusive service.
- JAL introduces cargo freighter exclusive service with DC-8-55F plane on New York route (Tokyo-San Francisco-New York-San Francisco-Honolulu-Tokyo).
JAL inaugurates Osaka=New York route via Tokyo (Osaka=Tokyo=Honolulu=San Francisco=New York, with DC-8 plane).
- JAL introduces DC-8F cargo freighter exclusive service on its transpacific route, departing from Osaka (Osaka-Tokyo-San Francisco-Honolulu-Tokyo-Osaka).
- JAL inaugurates the Tokyo-San Francisco direct operation on New York route (with DC-8-62 plane).
- JAL inaugurates the New York-Paris route (with DC-8 plane).
- JAL inaugurates Vancouver route (Tokyo=Vancouver=San Francisco, with DC-8 plane, two round trips a week).
- The JAL President Mr. Kogoro Uemura retires and Vice President Mr. Teruo Godo takes over.
- DC-6B planes are retired from operation.
- Began service on Fukuoka - Pusan route (wet lease of YS-11 from Japan Domestic Airlines).
JAL introduces DC-8-61 planes on Southeast Asian route (three routes).
JAL introduces DC-8F plane of passenger-cargo mixed type with to Los Angeles route.
JAL carries out a pooling agreement concerning cargo freighters on the Northern route to Europe with Air France and Lufthansa German Airlines, and introduces B707 exclusive cargo freighter for the joint operation.
- JAL introduces B727-QC plane for the Tokyo=Osaka cargo freighter service.
- JAL renews its female counter staff uniform.
- Opened JAL Building on New York's 5th Avenue.
- JAL inaugurates the Sydney route (with DC-8 plane).
- JAL's stock is listed on the first section of the stock exchange in Tokyo, Osaka and Nagoya.
- JAL renews its uniform for cockpit and cabin crew, and introduces the new uniform along with the inauguration of B747 jumbo jet on July 1.
- JAL establishes 'JAL Global Club (JGC)'.
- JAL inaugurates an independent operation on the Paris route via Moscow (Tokyo=Mowcow=Paris), (DC-8-62 plane, two round trips a week).
- JAL introduces DC-8-61 planes on the Tokyo=Sapporo and Tokyo=Osaka routes; On October 1, on the Tokyo=Fukuoka route.
JAL introduces DC-8F exclusive cargo freighter on the Tokyo=Los Angeles route .
- Completed hanger for Boeing 747.
- JAL inaugurates the London route via Moscow (Tokyo=Moscow=London) (with DC-8 plane, two round trips a week).
- JAL inaugurates cargo freighter service on the Rome route by code-sharing flights with Alitalia Airlines. (with DC-8F plane)
- JAL introduces the B747 plane on Tokyo=Honolulu. Tokyo=Honolulu=Los Angeles routes on July 2.
- JAL inaugurates the Tokyo=Guam route (with DC-8 plane, 3 round trips a week).
- JAL is designated as the official airline of the Sapporo International Winter Sport Meeting (pre Olympic, 1971. 02).
- Convair880 plane is retires from operation.