JAL’s History 2001s
We will take a look back at the history of Japan Airlines (JAL), from its founding to the present day, with a timeline of details and notable events.
- J-Air's first 13 cabin attendants (contracted cabin staff) enter the company.
- JAL establishes JAL Cargo Sales Co., Ltd, accompanied by the spinning off of the sales section of cargo department to be a separate company.
- The 1st 'JAL Dream Express 21' named 'Friends' (B747-400 plane) is introduced on Tokyo(Haneda)=Fukuoka route as a part of commemorative avtivities of JAL's 50th anniversary project.
- J-Air inaugurates the Hiroshima-Nishi=Fukushima, Fukushima=Sapporo, Fukushima=Fukuoka, Nagoya=Yamagata, Nagoya=Kagoshima and Fukuoka=Izumo routes.
- JAL acquires the first patent of business model in Japan's airline industry for 'boarding ticket issuing system using ID information'.
- The JAL Dream Express 21(Tokyo Disneysea) No.4 and 5 aircrafts embarks on their maiden flights. The aircrafts, decorated with the sea painted over their body, first enter service to asian areas such as Hong Kong, Singapore and Seoul.
- Start of loading of(AED:Automated External Defibrillator)and electrocardiograph monitor onboard international flights to improve first aid .
- 'The Dream Story', 'JAL Dream Express 21' the 6th aircraft, makes its maiden flight between Tokyo(Haneda) and Fukuoka.
- The "new skysleeper 'Solo'" based on human engineering theory and designed to make long flights pass more comfortably, is introduced on First clss of Tokyo=New York route.
- JAL is awarded 'Airline of the Year for 2002' by Air Transport World Magazine for unremitting effort toward structural reform and a challenging spirit unafraid of change, an award it has consecutively won since 1980.
- A cooperative agreement commences with the Meteorological Agency for mid-flight ACARS-gathered weather data which increases accuracy of information provided on concentrated heavy downpours and turbulence.
- The JAL Group 'Gambare (Bear Up) Japan Soccer Representatives!' campaign is launched. An aircraft with a special paint job 'JAL Japan Representative Supporters' makes its maiden flight on domestic routes.
The Hiroshima-Nishi=Miyazaki route is opened using the J-AIR, CR 200 aircraft.
- The Nagoya=Shanghai route is established (with B767 plane).
- J-AIR establishes the Fukushima=Osaka(Itami) and Hiroshima-Nishi=Sapporo routes.
- JAL launches the Tokyo(Narita)=Amoi route, the 7th service into China, operated using the B767 aircraft.
- A new route between Tokyo(Narita) and Hanoi is opened by a code sharing agreement with Vietnam Airlines (4 round trips a week, both airlines operating 2 round trips each).
- The Tokyo(Haneda)=Okayama , Tokyo(Haneda)=Yamaguchi Ube and the Tokyo(Haneda)=Toyama routes are established.
- The new style 'JAL SHELL FLAT SEAT' is introduced on executive class 'SEASONS' service between Tokyo(Narita) and London.
- JAL and JAS hold the the brand announcement meeting for the 'New JAL Group' after the integration.Announcement of new JAL Group logo .
- The organic designed first class seat 'Skysleeper Solo' installed on the most recent airplanes wins the world's first 'Good Design Award'.
- The first international route automatic check-in machine (i-SCM) in Japan begins operation at Narita Airport to simplify international flight boarding procedures and mitigate against rush hour congestion.
- The new design 'JAL SHELL FLAT SEAT' introduced into executive class 'SEASONS' takes out the first 'Good Design Award' in Chicago.
- The Fukuoka=Shanghai route is opened. (B767 plane)
- First publication of new JAL Group inflight magazine “skyward”
- The Tokyo(Narita)=Amoi regular cargo route is established (using a B747F airplane).
- A mascot coating aircraft (B767-300) enters service to commemorate the Japane International Exhibition 'Love-Earth Exhibition' in 2005.
- The first aircraft of 'the Matsui jet' (B747-400) enters service to Tokyo (Haneda) =Komatsu.
- Start of Japan’s first settlement of domestic tickets and check-in (boarding procedures) by mobile phone at domestic airports.
- B777-300ER (JAL SHELL FLAT SEAT introduced aircraft) enters service to Tokyo=London route.
- J Air opens Nagoya=Akita. ( with CRJ200 plane.)
'JAL SHELL FLAT SEA' of JAL Executive Class 'SEASONS' and domestic automatic check-in and ticketing machine (TCM) win a 'Good Design' prize for the fiscal year 2003.
- First flight is special livery aircraft bearing "Yokoso! Japan" logo of Visit Japan Campaign promoted by Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism .
- The JAL Group operates the special coating aircraft as the 50th anniversary commemoration of international route inauguration.
- JAL's New route Tokyo(Narita)=Hangzhou inaugurated same time as ANA. (Kansai=Hanzchou route is started on March 31.)
Launch of Kansai=Qingdao and Kansai=Hanoi routes.
- The JAL Group, under the group holding company Japan Airlines System Corporation, completes the business integration of Japan Airlines and Japan Air System, and makes the launch of JAL International with president Haneda and JAL Domestic with President Komatsubara.
- JAL Group operates a special coating aircraft 'Ganbare! Nippon!'.
- The domestic route new service 'Class J' commences.
- JAL domestic route new class “Class J” wins “good design prize” (merchandise design division) for the fiscal year 2004.
- The in-flight Internet connection service "JAL SkyOnline" starts from the Tokyo=London route (401/402).
- JAL starts the operation of a special coating aircraft of special olympics (SO).
- JAL IC check-in service “touch & go” starts at Haneda airport, Itami airport, new Chitose airport and Fukuoka airport.
- Opening of Chubu International Airport (Centrair). JAL’s first aircraft is JL3201 to Fukuoka. Launch of Nagoya =Paris route, and Nagoya =Guangzhou route on xx 18. New JAL Group logo announced.
- JAL Group starts the international flight Web check-in service.
JALways renews the uniform of cabin attendants.
- HAC, J-AIR and JAC of JAL Group companies renew the uniform of the cabin attendants.
- Japan Asia Airways renews the uniform of the cabin attendants and start its wear.
- Operation of sightseeing charter flight by aircraft with Mushi King decal as part of “Family Summer Holiday” Campaign (July 15 - August 31).
- JAL inaugurates the Sendai=Okinawa route (with MD81 plane).
The rice service just cooked in cabin begins to offer to the first class and business class on the international flights (London route and New York route).
- Opening of Kobe Airport. JAL Group operation of 6 routes to/from Kobe Airport. Launch of Sapporo, Okinawa, Haneda, Sendai(JEX), Kagoshima, Kumamoto (JEX) routes.
- An aircraft with a special livery depiching the members of the Japan national soccer team entered service,to promote the team in advance of the 2006 World Cup. JAL had 3 aircraft carry the designs.
- New Kitakyushu Airport Opened,enabling operation of large aircraft. In addition to the Haneda route,the JAL Group launched fligfts to Okinawa and Nagoya(Komaki).
- JAL established the Safety Development Center,featuring exhibits related to the JAL flight 123 accident,to use for safety training and increasing safety awareness.
- A 777-300 Aircraft with a special livery promoting the environmental activities of the nationally promoted goverment-backed Team Minus 6% Campaign was put into service.
- A JAL aircraft painted with a giant poster advertising the domestic Sakitoku discount fares entered service.
- Membership to global alliance oneworld.
- JAL aircraft with special oneworld design enters service to international route . (Fly domestic routes on April 30, 2005)
- “The JAL Tamagotchi jet 2007” starts to operate.
- Start of regional contribution and volunteer activities through Paper Plane classes.
- Launch of Haneda =Shanghai (Hongquiao) route.
- JAL starts introducing “JAL Premium Economy” service on international flights.
JAL introduces a “First Class Service” for the first-ever time on domestic flights.
- Japan Asia Airways flies its last flight EG284, from Taipei to Nagoya (Chubu) , concluding 32 years of operations. (Services to Taiwan were transferred to JAL the next day.)
- New services are launched between Haneda and Hong Kong.
- JAL's latest First Class Suite and Executive Class Shell Flat Neo are first introduced on the route to New York using Boeing 777-300ER aircraft.
- JAL will put into service a specially decorated aircraft to support Tokyo’s bid for the 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
- JAL express started the operation of international flight(kansai=Hangzhou).
- The Mt.Fuji Shizuoka Airport opened as the 98th airport in Japan.
- Introduction of JAL Eco Jet with green tail and paper aircraft motif on international routes, and Asia’s first plastic bottle wine in Economy Class.
- JAL announced merger of JAL's four aircraft maintenance companies to create the new JAL Engineering Co.,Ltd.
Receives two FY2009 Good Design Awards for International Executive Class seat “JAL Shell Flat Neo” and inflight meal Economy Class Soraben on Guam route.
- JAL started Haneda-Beijing route.
- Simple new boarding style “QuiC” for JAL domestic flights.
- JAL inaugurated the Tokyo (Narita) - Naha (Okinawa) route.
- JAL, Japan Airlines Corporation and JAL Capital Co., Ltd. file for reorganization proceedings.
- Appointed new top management. Kazuo Inamori as the Chairman of [Japan Airlines Co., Ltd (JAL under the Reorganization and Rehabilitation Act)], and Masaru Onishi and Hisao Taguchi as President and Executive Vice President, respectively.
- Introduction of Doraemon Jet.
- Introduction of new Executive Class inflight meal on JAL Southeast Asia routes.
- JAL named best international major airline for on-time arrival rate in 2009 by US Conducive Technology Company.
- Launch of industry’s first rebooking and ticketing service from overseas on JAL website.
- Approval of JAL Group Eco First Company.
- oneworld alliance presented with FY2010 Best Alliance Award by UK Skytrax.
- JAL inaugurated its new “COP10 Eco Jet” aircraft livery. (Boeing 777-200m, JA8984)
- Introduction of JAL COP10 Eco Jet with special livery.
- Introduction of Hawks Jet with JAL x Fukuoka Softbank Hawks special livery .
- Japan’s first female Captain in JAL Express.
- Introduction of COP10 Eco Happy Turn Jet with JAL Group special livery.
- First female maintenance line certifying chief in JAL Engineering.
- Introduction of JAL Arashi Jet with special livery on domestic routes. Operation until January 2011 Boeing 777-200 JA8982).
- The MD-81 aircraft (JA8294) was retired from service after 25 years of flight. Final flight was on its Haneda - Misawa route.
- Introduction of new seats and new IFE system in newly configured international Boeing 767-300ER.
- Departure of JL091(Haneda → Gimpo)Boeing 777-200 carrying 302 passengers, first international flight from Haneda Airport new terminal.
- Introduction of JAL Eco Jet on international routes, Boeing 777-300ER·JA731J).
- Departure of last flight of freighter (arrival November 1).
- Resumption of International scheduled flight at Haneda Airport for first time in 32 years. JL002(Haneda →San Francisco )Boeing 777-200 departs carrying 247 passengers.
Introduction of Waku Waku Aloha Jet with special livery on JAL domestic routes to mark launch of Haneda =Honolulu route.
- JAL Sky Recliner and new in-flight entertainment system "MAGIC-V" was unveiled in Boeing 767-300ER international fleet.
- Boeing 747 Cargo Flight's last flight.
- JAL and American Airlines receive official approval of US anti-trust immunity (ATI) from US Transport Department.
- Decision to approve reorganization plan.
- Merger of Japan Airlines Co., Ltd., and JAL Capital Co., Ltd., with JAL as surviving company. At the same time, absorption-type merge of JALways Co., Ltd. and JAL Livre Co., Ltd.