Together with the President who is ultimately responsible for safety, with the General Safety Manager who has oversight of all safety management systems and with the following structure, from Senior Management to Front Line Staff we will act in unison to maintain and improve safety.
1. Safety Management Organizations
（1） Corporate Safety and Security Division
The Corporate Safety and Security Division is responsible for overseeing safety enhancement of Japan Airlines and the JAL Group. Its main roles are;
- To gather and provide safety information to the President and the General Safety Manager
- To establish, and plan and supervise the promotion of safety management policies and safety targets
- To coordinate safety management within the JAL Group
- To investigate accidents and serious incidents and establish measures
- To plan, establish, and coordinate safety and security training
- To conduct safety and security audits
- To investigate and conduct research on human factors
（2） Flight Operations, Maintenance, Cabin Attendants, Airport Operations, Operations, Cargo and Mail Divisions
Executive officers of production divisions chair the safety committee of their respective division, make overall judgment and decisions on operations affecting safety under their command, and report to the President and the General Safety Manager of the Company.
Each production division has its own safety management department (Flight Safety Management, Maintenance Management, Cabin Safety, Station Operation Planning, Operations Safety and Quality, Cargo and Mail Administration). Its main roles are;
- To establish safety policies and measures of the division
- To monitor the SMS of the division on a daily basis
- To raise safety awareness and conduct training and education within the division
（3） General Affairs Division
The General Affairs Division has established Disaster Handling Regulations to mitigate and prevent the spread of damage, maintain business activities, and achieve quick recovery of operations in the event of a disaster. It provides disaster prevention and response measures to ensure the safety of our employees, passengers, visitors, and directors, and preserve JAL Group assets in the event of a natural disaster such as fires, explosions, wind, flood and snow damage, earthquakes and tsunami triggered by an earthquake, volcanic eruptions, and other abnormal phenomena.
In addition, the Aircraft Accident Handling Manual clearly states the main role of the Senior Vice President of General Affairs.
- To plan and establish the policy, system, and measures for handling accidents and incidents of the JAL Group
- To advise the President on improvements to the accident and incident handling system
- To respond according to the initiation level of the accident and incident handling system under the President’s command
- To assume the position of Emergency Handling Team Leader when the Head Office Command Office is set up
2. Safety Committees
Flight safety is achieved through the safety activities of each function in the Company, and mutual cooperation and coordination are a must. Therefore, the JAL Group has established various safety committees to grasp the status of daily operations and make necessary improvements based on information of occurrences in coordination with each function and organization.
（1）Group Safety Enhancement Council
The Group Safety Enhancement Council has been established to ensure aviation safety and promote safety management in accordance with the JAL Group Corporate Policy. It is composed of the President (Chair), the General Safety Manager, executive officers appointed by the President, and Presidents of Group airlines. Its main roles are;
- To establish important policies on safety management
- To grasp status and regularly review safety management
- To decide safety measures for daily operations
- To discuss important matters raised by the Group Operational Safety Promotion Committee
（2） Group Operational Safety Promotion Committee
The Group Operational Safety Promotion Committee, a sub-committee of the Group Safety Enhancement Council, has been established to improve safe air transport and safety of the JAL Group by maintaining and strengthening coordination for safety between divisions and Group airlines. It is composed of the Vice President of JAL Corporate Safety and Security (Chair), Vice Presidents of JAL safety management departments appointed by the Chair, and the General Safety Manager or executive officer in charge of safety of each Group airline. Its main roles are;
- To establish the basic policy and targets for flight safety
- To provide recommendations and advice on preventive measures based on analysis of serious hazards
- To grasp the status of activities of each production division and provide advice and guidance
- To provide staff with guidance on safety activities and discuss matters to raise safety awareness
（3） Special Committee on Alcohol-related Measures
The Special Committee on Alcohol-related Measures has been established to conduct alcohol risk management of pilots, cabin attendants, maintenance engineers, dispatchers, and drivers in the airport. It is composed of the General Safety Manager of JAL (Chair), Senior Vice President of Corporate Safety and Security, and executive officers of Flight Operations, Cabin Attendants, Engineering and Maintenance, Airport Operations, Operations, and Cargo and Mail, and other members. Its main roles are;
- To establish the policy on alcohol risks
- To make decisions and give instructions on alcohol risks
- To monitor and regularly review measures, and give instructions on necessary improvements
- To raise awareness of alcohol risks and provide education
（4）Special Committees on Alcohol-related Measures in Each Division
The Special Committees on Alcohol-related Measures in each division, which are subcommittees of the above Special Committee on Alcohol-related Measures, have been established to gather and analyze information and monitor measures established in each production division. It is chaired by the executive officer of each division and composed of the safety managing department of the division, related departments, and the Corporate Safety and Security. Its main roles are ;
- To analyze incidents of alcohol detection and prevent recurrence
- To analyze the tendency of alcohol breath tests (within standards), and establish and disseminate necessary measures
- To implement alcohol risk measures as an organization
（5）Safety Committee of Each Division(Flight Operations Safety Committee, Maintenance Safety Committee, Cabin Safety Committee, Airport Safety Committee, Operations Safety Committee, and Cargo Safety Committee）
These committees have been established to strengthen coordination for safety and decide safety policies within the production division.
Coordination of emergency response planning
Procedures for aircraft accidents, serious incidents and affairs are documented in the Aircraft Accident Handling Manual. In the event of an accident or a serious incident, an aircraft accident investigation committee or a serious incident review meeting is organized and causal investigation and review of countermeasures are conducted.
Procedures for other than aircraft accident, serious incidents and affairs are documented in the Risk Management Manual.
Procedures for disaster response is documented in the Disaster Response Regulations.