Use of electronic devices on board
Learn about the use of electronic devices on board.
JAL Group altered the restriction of use of electronic devices on board as follows on March 1, 2021. This change is based on the ministerial notification regarding the related Civil Aeronautics Law.
Please set electronic devices to the mode which does not emit electronic signals or turn them off when cabin crew request to do so after all doors are closed. Those who break the law may be subject to fine of up to JPY500,000. (Civil Aeronautics Law, Enforcement, Article 164-16)
Devices that emit radio waves when activated.
Use of the following electronic devices is prohibited from when the door is closed at departure until the aircraft completes landing. (Devices with an output of 100 milliwatts or less are exempt.)
- Mobile phones (including Smart phones)
- Wireless microphones
- Personal digital assistants
- IC tags (battery operated only)
- Electronic game machines
- Radio-controlled toys
- Personal computers (PC)
- Mobile routers etc
However, Wireless headphones/earphones and devices which may communicate wirelessly with other devices (such as Bluetooth®, etc.) can be used.
Please set electronic devices into airplane mode or turn off power after door closed. It is prohibited to access wireless LAN out of airplane. Our cabin crew will notify you about the use of electronic devices after landing.
All of the above-mentioned devices with airplane mode that do not emit radio waves when activated can be used during flight
Notice about electronic devices on board (When traveling on a codeshare flight, please follow the rules of the operating airline.)
- Please pay attention to the inflight safety announcement and other safety-related instructions provided by our cabin crew.
- We may request you to turn off your electronic devices in some circumstances according to captain's instruction.
- Please refrain from talking on the mobile phone in the cabin because this may disturb other passengers.
- There are other electronic devices in addition to the above that are subject to usage restrictions according to JAL rules. Also, please refrain from using any devices with an output 100 milliwatts or less, if its use on board may cause discomfort, inconvenience or danger to other passengers. (If the output is unknown, you may be asked to refrain from using the device.)
- We may ask you to turn off the electronic devices if any passengers using medical devices (such as pacemaker) are sitting around you.
- Please switch off electronic devices in your checked baggage in advance.
- To ensure unrestricted escape during emergencies, we ask that you store all large laptop computers and other electronic devices together with carry-on baggage underneath the seat in front of you or in the overhead storage compartment during takeoff and landing.
- Applying a powerful force on electronic devices with the lithium-ion battery may cause the battery deformation and/or the battery protection function failure. This may lead to the battery failure with heat generation, burst, and ignition. Please try not to drop the electronic devices on the floor, stand on them or drop them in the gap around the seat.
- Before boarding your flight, please completely turn off the power of mobile phones for children as such devices can sometimes be difficult to turn off.